It’s estimated that 36 million Americans suffer from springtime allergies. If you dread warmer weather and the sneezing that comes along with it, schedule annual HVAC maintenance now to help reduce springtime allergens in your Sarasota home.
How a Professional Tuneup Helps You Breathe Easier
Over the course of the summer, your cooling system loses efficiency due to dust buildup, loosened connections and other normal wear. An inefficient system won’t clean indoor air as effectively as it should.
Among other essential tasks, a qualified technician will clean the HVAC system to prevent dust from re-entering your home, flush the condensate drain to prevent clogs and mold, and inspect the ductwork for obstructions that can reduce airflow and compromise indoor air quality.
Annual professional HVAC maintenance is essential for reducing springtime allergens, lowering utility bills and extending the operating life of the system. But maintenance shouldn’t end when your technician leaves. These monthly tasks will help maintain good indoor air quality and system efficiency all summer long:
- Inspect the air filter in the cooling system, and when it’s clogged with dust, replace it with a good-quality pleated filter. A filter with a minimum efficiency reporting value, or MERV, rating between 9 and 12 will trap more of the smallest allergens in the air and help reduce allergy symptoms.
- Thoroughly clean around the indoor unit to keep dust out and prevent condensate drain clogs, which can cause mold growth and damage to the system.
- Inspect ducts for mold and keep a nose out for musty odors coming from the vents. These are signs that you should have ducts cleaned by an HVAC professional.
- Seal air leaks around service entrances, doors and windows to keep allergens out of your home.
- Consider a whole-house dehumidifier to maintain a humidity level of 30 to 50 percent, which can help prevent mold growth and reduce the dust mite population.
For more expert tips on how HVAC maintenance can help reduce springtime allergens, please feel free to contact us in the Sarasota area at Climatic Conditioning Co., Inc.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com